Current Library Services
The Library Board of Trustees has approved the following library hours and services to be offered at this time:
Library Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Saturday: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Our building and collection are open for browsing, public computers may be used, and more seating is available.
- Library card, printing, faxing, copying services are available.
- Study Tables and Study Rooms are available.
- Certain areas of the Library will remain unavailable for use including most meeting rooms and many children’s toys.
- Notary services are available by appointment.
- Contactless Curbside Service remains available.
- Donations will be accepted on designated Donation Drop-off Days or other specified times only. Please visit https://www.chathamlib.org/donations for more information.
- The bookstore will be open for limited hours and pending volunteer availability. However, the sale of food and drink is still suspended. Please visit https://www.chathamlib.org/cafe_bookstore for more information.
What safety measures are you taking during this stage?
The safety of our patrons and staff is the highest priority. The following procedures and precautionary measures will be enacted to try and ensure all parties are kept safe and healthy:
- Masks are currently required for all patrons regardless of their vaccination status, and masks will be available for patron use if needed. The only exception is those two years of age and under.
- Hand sanitizer will be available for use throughout the Library.
- The use of our self-checkout stations is encouraged.
- If you or anyone in your household is not feeling well, we ask that you please refrain from visiting the Library.
- Staff will continue to wear masks and maintain thorough hand washing levels throughout the day.
- Public computers and equipment will be sanitized after each use.
- Partitions, plexiglass, and floor markers will be used to help ensure protection.
- High touch surfaces will be disinfected frequently.
Donations will be accepted on designated Donation Days only. Please visit https://www.chathamlib.org/donations for more information.
Study Rooms are available for use. Rooms can be used for two hours with the option to extend usage for one more hour pending other patrons aren't waiting for access.
There are several ways to request items during this time. Please visit https://www.chathamlib.org/how-do-i-request-items for details.
Checkout periods will be two weeks for most Chatham Area Public Library items. Materials from other libraries are subject to the checkout limits determined by the loaning library.
Requested Item Pickup:
Classic library item notifications (email, phone, or text) will alert patrons when their requested items are ready and available for pickup. Items can be picked up at the Circulation Desk or through curbside pickup.
The Conference Room is now available for use. To book the Conference Room for your group, please fill out the online form at https://www.chathamlib.org/application-conference-room-use or call the Library. At this time, we will only be accepting applications for July and August. Any inquiries regarding space availability, please email [email protected] or contact Katlynn or Erica at the library's phone number 217-483-2713.
How can I pay for my fines/lost/damaged items/faxes/copies?
We will have payment jars for cash payments at the Reference and Circulation Desks. We will also be accepting checks and credit cards (for purchases over $5).
Returning Library Items:
Our Outdoor Book Drop will remain open 24/7 to accept returns, and our Indoor Book Drop will be open during business hours. You are welcome to return DVDs using the Outdoor Book Drop. For other specialty item return, please bring the items into the Library, and a staff member will assist.
What are you doing with items once they're returned?
In light of a recent update from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention regarding the lack of transmission of fomites on physical surfaces, we have ended the quarantining of both requested and returned physical items. This includes our materials and those that are circulated throughout the system.