Borrowing a Wifi Hotspot
Welcome to our Hotspot lending service. To adhere with the Library’s mission to make information accessible to everyone, the Chatham Area Public Library (CAPL) has mobile wi-fi hotspots available for loan. You may borrow the device to access the Internet for free at your home, in your car, or anywhere else!
- You must have an email address on file. If you do not have an email address listed on your library record, please call the library at 217-483-2713 and ask the librarian to add your email address to your account.
- Read through the CAPL Hotspot Agreement and the information below.
- To see if there is an available Hotspot from CAPL, click here or go to the library catalog and use “Mobile Hotspot” as a keyword search to locate it in the catalog, limiting the results to “My Library.” Chatham Hotspots are available for pickup at the Chatham Area Public Library only, cannot be held, and cannot be sent out on loan to other libraries.
When you come to the Library to check out the device, you will be asked to complete and sign the CAPLD Hotspot Agreement, acknowledging financial responsibility for lost or damaged equipment.
Who can borrow a library hotspot?
To borrow a hotspot, patrons must:
- be a Chatham resident public library card holder 18 years and older
- be in good standing (i.e. library account is not blocked due to unpaid fees or lost materials)
- provide a current photo ID to validate against patron record
The library reserves the right to refuse service to anyone who abuses equipment or is repeatedly late in returning hotspots.
How do I use the hotspot?
Follow the instructions inside the cover of the box.
Where do I return the hotspot when I am done?
The hotspot cannot be placed in the bookdrops and must be returned to the checkout desk and handed to a staff member. A designated staff person will do a visual check to ensure that the device and accessories are returned in good condition.
How long can I keep the hotspot?
You can keep it for 14 days.
Can I renew my hotspot?
No. You are not allowed to renew at this time.