Tax Resource Center
NOTE: AARP Tax-Aide services are no longer available for the 2022 Tax Year.
The Chatham Area Public Library will be an AARP free tax preparation location. Appointments are REQUIRED and will be available on Wednesdays from 9:15 AM to 1:45 PM between February 1 and April 12.
Clients must come to the site (front desk) to receive a tax preparation packet, then schedule an appointment to have their taxes perpared on-site.
To schedule an appointment:
- ONLINE: Beginning February 1 for ANY TAX-AIDE site. Use the AARP TAX-AIDE LOCATOR, found here: www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide/locations.html
- IN PERSON: when the season BEGINS and the site is OPEN.
- IVR (interactive voice response system): Call 888-227-7669.
- AARP Contact Center at 888-687-2277.
- AARP Site Locator Tool: https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide/locations.html
- VITA/TCE Locator Tool: https://irs.treasury.gov/freetaxprep/
For other AARP Tax-Aide locations in Central Illinois:
Lincoln Library (Springfield, IL) • Senior Services Center of Sangamon County (Springfield, IL) • Union Baptist Church (Springfield, IL) • Oasis Center (Lincoln, IL) • Rochester Public LIbrary (Rochester, IL)
To check for updates about the status of Tax-Aide services and sites, visit the AARP Tax-Aide web page, or call 1-888-227-7669.
Federal Tax Forms
- 1040-SR -- Tax Return for Seniors
- Schedules for Form 1040
- Tax Table from Instructions form 1040
- Schedule A - Itemized Deductions
- Schedule B - Interest and Ordinary Dividends
- Schedule D - Capital Gains and Losses
- Schedule R - Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled
You can click the form you want and print off a copy.
The IRS is also sending out a limited number of instruction booklets this year. Booklets can also be found online and printed off if necessary. Links to the booklets and other commonly used forms can be found below:
To order forms from the IRS, call 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676) or order online.
NOTE: If the library prints out the instructions for you, there will be a cost of $.15/side.
Illinois State Tax Forms
Visit the Illinois Department of Revenue's website for a list of forms you can download and print.
NOTE: Tax forms may be printed at the Library with no charge (limit 2 forms per person), However, printing instruction booklets will cost $0.15/side.
Tax Preparation Assistance
- See above if there are any local Tax-Aide locations with the locator tools.
- Submit a request to have someone file your taxes or help file your taxes here: https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide/locations/.
For people who are over 50 or have low-to-moderate income.
- myfreetaxes.com is free tax software from United Way. Call the helpline at 1-866-698-9435 from 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM daily to talk to a real person trained by the IRS.
MyFreeTaxes connects users who need more support filing their return to partner nonprofits who are part of the IRS’ Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program (accessible by selecting the "With assistance" option on our homepage.) These programs generally support all tax situations except:
- Returns with Rental Property Income
- Returns with Farm Income
- Returns with income well above $58,000*
If you are ineligible to have your return prepared for you through the IRS’ VITA program, you can still use our free self-preparation software to file your taxes yourself. https://myfreetaxes.com/
*Income limits for VITA programs vary, but are no less than $58,000. Many VITA programs support incomes above this level, so if you need your return prepared for you it is worth inquiring with our partner programs to see if they can assist you.
IRS Free File https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/browse-all-offers/ is a list of free tax preparation assitance apps, curated by the IRS.
If your adjusted gross income (AGI) was $73,000 or less, review each provider’s offer to make sure you qualify.
Some offers include a free state tax return.