In addition to our regularly scheduled storytimes, the library also periodically hosts a variety of programs for children of all ages and their families. Please see the Calendar or Upcoming Events pages for additional information.
Valentine Take it and Make It
Saturday, February 5th from 10 a.m. to noon
Plan to stop by the library and pick up your Valentine's Day themed crafts to take home and create for your loved ones! Supplies are limited.
Make a Marble Run
Wednesday, February 23, 2:30-4:30 p.m.
Drop in after school and have a ball creating your own fantastic marble run using simple household items. Event is for school-aged children with adult supervision.
National Pig Day
Tuesday, March 1
Join us as we celebrate National Pig day with a scavenger hunt at the Library! Drop in anytime to peek for porkers and possibly procure a prize!
Event is for all ages.
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is a program designed to help parents prepare their children for one of life’s big milestones: kindergarten. Research has shown that children get ready to read years before they begin their formal education. An excellent way to get your child ready to learn is to read to them.
The Chatham Library's much-loved collection of American Girl dolls is currently on display in the Nook reading area of our Children's Department. Stop by and see before the end of January 2022!
Registration for Book Camp in a Bag has closed. Thanks to all who have signed-up, and the Youth Services Staff looks forward to making crafts, playing games, and sharing stories with you all!
The 2021 Book Camp schedule is as follows:
Age 4 - Kindergarten – June 29, 30, and July 1
1st - 2nd graders – June 22, 23, 24
3rd - 4th graders – June 15, 16, 17
5th - 6th graders – June 21, 22, 23, 24
Camp will be on Zoom from 10:15 - 11:15 a.m. for campers age 4 - grade 4, and 1:00 - 2:00 p.m. for grades 5 - 6.
These grade levels are for the grade your child will be going into for the 2021-2022 school year.
For our patrons aged 10 and up, the library hosts Monthly Game Nights. On the first Wednesday of the month from 6-7:30 the library provides a variety of board games to play and instruction on how to play them. During extended school holidays the library hosts Game Days. These special days are for all ages and ability levels.
Our planned Monthly Board Game Night on February 2 HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
During the school year the library has three different grade level programs. We have a 5th/6th grade program, a 3rd/4th grade program, and a 1st/2nd grade program. Each program includes a snack, games, and a craft. These programs often are centered on an age-appropriate book or series. Previous programs include series such as Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Geronimo Stilton, and Elephant and Piggie. Registration is required and space is limited.
We have lots of spooky fun planned for Halloween 2021! Here's an updated schedule of events:
On October 21st at 6p, our Very Scary Storytime is now an outdoor scary movie!
Join us on the Library's lawn for a spooky screening of Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween!
- This presentation is for children 3rd grade and up only please!
- Children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Free popcorn and drinks will be provided.
- Masks are required.
- Bring your own blanket or lawn chairs.
Rain cancels the movie.
On October 28th at 6p, our Friendly and Slightly Scary Storytimes are now a Halloween Costume parade!
- Come dressed up and ready to show off your costume!
- We will have the parade rain or shine!
- Children under the age of (10) must be accompanied by an adult for the duration of the program.
- Please keep costumes "friendly" or "not so scary."
- Masks required.
- Popcorn will be available to take home.
One Saturday every quarter the library hosts Lego Days. These days are open to children of all ages and their caregivers. We provide the Lego blocks. All you need to bring is your imagination.
Our next Lego Day that was scheduled for Saturday, January 29 HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
During extended school holidays we show movies here at the library. We have two different age groups – 11 and Up movies are for our patrons age 11 and older, Family movies are suitable for all ages. We provide drinks and popcorn, too!
Our Summer Reading program is designed to encourage children to keep reading during summer vacation.
Through participation in summer reading children are:
Motivated to read.
Develop positive attitudes about reading, books, and the library.
Maintain their reading skills during summer vacation.
The program is offered each summer to children from age 4 through graduating high school seniors; there is also an Adult Summer Reading Program. Registration opens in May and the program runs through July. Participants read books and items of their choosing and record their reading using the Beanstack website - http://chathamlib.beanstack.org - or the Beanstack Tracker app (apple | android). Younger children win prizes for minutes read, and tweens/teens can enter into weekly prize drawings for each book read.
For complete details about our 2021 Summer Reading Program, visit https://www.chathamlib.org/2021-summer-reading-program.
Here are the quick facts about Summer Reading 2021:
- Sign up begins May 1st on Beanstack, our online Reading Tracker website https://chathamlib.beanstack.org and mobile app (apple | android).
- You can begin logging minutes on June 1, 2021.
- There are challenges for every age group!
- Rubber Ducky Club for birth through age 3: Read 30 books together and receive a rubber ducky.
- Summer Reading for ages 4-8: Receive prizes after each 100 minutes read.
- Summer Reading for ages 8-12: Receive prizes after each 150 minutes read.
- For children aged 8 or 12, choose the one challenge that best suits your child.
- Tween/Teen Summer Reading for ages 12-18: Receive a virtual ticket to enter a raffle for a gift card of your choice after every book read and be automatically entered into a grand prize drawing.
- Read and redeem prizes between June 1 and July 31. The final day to log minutes for the 2021 Summer Reading Program is July 31.
- The last day to pick up prizes will be Tuesday, August 31.
Not sure about how to get started Beanstack or the Beanstack Tracker app? No problem! Check out the Beanstack Tutorial
Due to predicted inclement weather, Teen Trivia will now be held on October 13th! Hope to see you there!